Jan 8, 2013

No Big Deal

     When I was a junior in high school, a new boy moved in down the street from me.  Since we were seriously lacking in other teenagers on the Norfolk Naval Base, my BFF Mary Whitney and I hurried down to his house to introduce him and make a new friend.  On our 6:30 am bus rides to school, we tried everything we could to make him feel welcome, inviting him to hang out, see movies, go out to eat but the kid would.not.talk.to.us.  Not sure I had ever met a military kid this shy before, we continued to badger him and introduce him to our friends.  It wasn’t long before Erik was running on the cross country team, setting track records, eating at my lunch table, volunteering at the local animal shelter and helping me with my math homework. {He was in Calculus, I was still flailing in Algebra 2}. We were a tight knit little group of troublemakers in high school, and thankfully our group of friends is still in close touch to this day.  College breaks were full of more fun shenanigans to tuck into my memory.

  Here are some pictures of us silly friends over the years. They mostly include Mary Whitney, Sam & Christina & Erik. That is because Troy was always distracted trying to pick up some ladies and Micah and Dave were glued to their guitars. Most of our shenanigans included eating fast food in the middle of the night, going line dancing, lazy days at the beach, and eating.  People, we at a lot in those days.

wide assortment 046  wide assortment 050 wide assortment 051 wide assortment 065 a good picture at micahs  me and erik this is cute holiday 2006 040 holiday 2006 035  friends 004 friends 006  summer 06 008 2203986820063482045nnSpKa_ph2211526890063482045vsuRmE_ph 2761665790063482045jmTecd_ph

     Sorry for the picture overload. I got carried away in nostalgia.

ANYWAYS.

     When Erik headed to Virginia Tech, he got all into the acting scene. And by all into it, I mean…he was really, stinking good and I drove myself up there one weekend to watch him star in a play.  Previous to this I had only watched Erik run, drink beer, have green bean eating contests, love on dogs of all shapes and sizes, dance the cotton-eye-joe, try to pick up ladies, pick on Sam and make funny faces for the camera. Friends, I was blown away by his talent! He was SO good! {It should also be noted that it was during this trip to Va Tech to watch Erik’s play that I met up with Marcus for mass & lunch. AKA known as the weekend I fell in love with him. AKA as the weekend I got a reckless driving speeding ticket. AKA as the weekend I stayed with my old Nofo Naval Base friend, Elizabeth.. I hadn't seen her in years! It was an eventful weekend. All events unrelated.}

ANYWAYS.

   Erik took his talented self AND WENT TO LA! and was promptly cast in the 3rd TWILIGHT MOVIE!! Okay, promptly is a bit of a stretch. There was a lot of blood, sweat, tears, auditions, and odd jobs thrown in there too.  Seriously though, I am a eeensy, weensy, bit TOTALLY thrilled and proud of Erik.  He is the nicest guy around and has worked so hard and is deserving of every success. I don’t even get down with the Twighlights but you know I’ll be redboxing that movie :) I was busy giving birth to James when his movie came out.

    When Erik came home this Christmas, we all gathered at his mom’s house like old times. Well, except there was no beer. And two of us had babies.  And Dave told us he was moving to New York to pursue a music career. And Christina is talking about joining the Air Force.  It was the nicest evening of catching up, reminiscing and watching Erik learn how to hold babies. I am completely thankful for this group of friends!

    So, yes..James met his first celebrity.  He was unimpressed and a tad cranky and convinced it was no big deal.  I disagree, James! Erik Odom is a big deal and you are lucky to have chilled with him in his mama’s house before his movie schedule is too busy for him to even come back to his ‘ole stomping ground!

Dec 2012 165Dec 2012 169Dec 2012 175 Dec 2012 160  Dec 2012 163    Dec 2012 170 

Congratulations on your success, Erik! You will always be my favorite person to do the cotton-eye-joe with!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...