Mar 3, 2013

The First Date Night. Of the Crafty Variety

     Since postpartum NFP is such a barrel of fun, Marcus & I figured we better find a way to entertain ourselves in the evening.  Especially baby JP has a kinda-sorta bedtime now (yay).  Enter at-home date nights.  Marcus was assigned to plan the first one.  I really was excited to see what he had up his sleeve, because he definitely the more creative half.  I admit to be a little bit (lotsa) irritated when he said we were going to sew our own hot rice socks/bags.  Sooooooooo Roooomantic.  Have I mentioned that I hate sewing?  But he was so cute, and had even arranged to borrow his sister’s sewing machine, and a trip to the fabric store.  I started to get a little excited…until we actually started working on the project last night.  Neither of us remembered how to work the sewing machine, so in between youtube videos on how to thread a bobbin, and trying to nurse the baby who seemed to want to stay up to witness the fun, I remembered why I hated sewing.  As I nursed, Marcus plugged away and made a homely, but manly, rice sock.  There was a good hour of trial and error, and I surprised myself at how I knew how to solve a couple of his hang-ups. 

 

    Then it was my turn.  If I was was a careful, deliberate person, I would have made nice measurements & had a plan.  But I am the farthest thing from a perfectionist, so I just jumped in.  When I went to begin, the sewing machine would not feed the fabric.  I complained about it to Marcus who replied “It is supposed to feed the fabric?  Dang it! I just pulled the fabric through myself.”  I laughed hysterically at him but then proceeded to mess with every single button, dial, and switch on the machine.  I fixed the whole feed issue, but could not figure out how to set it to a simple stitch so I have some whacked out, dizzying stitch all along my bag.  Marcus was helping me with mine, and offered to hold my fabric straight so I could pin it.  Except I have an irrational fear of what would happen if the needle and the pin collided, I explained, so I avoid using pins.  His turn to laugh hysterically.  I spilled rice all over the floor, twice.  And got my sew on, in between eating popsicles and having a grand old time.

 

    People, we had a blast.  I know that I have not laughed that hard since before the baby’s arrival.  Marcus and I talked about things non-baby and just enjoyed each other’s company and working on a simple project together.  Sewing still is not my favorite thing in the world but I am mighty impressed with our just-google-how-to-do-this-as-we-go-along efforts. 

 

    Here are the final products:

March 2013 025

And if you are thinking that is impressive…Here, have a close-up.

March 2013 028 March 2013 026 

How is that for straight lines and neat stitches, haha?!

 

Any ideas on what I should do for the next date night? It is my turn to plan and I am hoping to avoid something overdone (& easy) like movie night…

1 comment:

~Tricia~ said...

Puzzles are great for date nights! Nick and I bought one for date night and still aren't finished but we spend the night talking and working together each time we work on it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...